Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Installing VirtualBox in Ubuntu Netbook Edition on an Eee PC 1000H

After being awakened much earlier than I had desired this morning, I decided to make the best of the situation and sit down to install VirtualBox in Ubuntu Netbook Edition on my Eee PC 1000H. My main reason for wanting to install VirtualBox on my netbook was simply so I could install BackTrack 4 in a virtual machine running on my netbook for the ultimate portable pentest/security monitoring setup. Of course, running VirtualBox will allow me to create VMs for anything I need going forward. The process I followed to install VirtualBox on my Eee PC is outlined in detail below.

In order to be able to install VirtualBox via my preferred method of using aptitude at the command line, I had to first add the proper repository to my /etc/apt/sources.list. For my particular installation (Ubuntu Maverick), the repository to be added is:

  deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian maverick non-free

Once the repository has been added, the next step is to download and add the Oracle public key via the following command:

  ken@hostname:~$ wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -    O- | sudo apt-key add -

The above command will simply return OK if it has completed successfully.

The next step is to update the software repositories, since we added the virtualbox download repository to our sources.list file earlier:

  ken@hostname:~$ sudo aptitude update

The final step is to install VirtualBox via aptitude. One note here: I first installed virtualbox-3.2, as directed on the VirtualBox website. It installed successfully, however, when I looked for the VirtualBox application in my applications list, it was nowhere to be found. Curious, I typed 'virtualbox' at the command line and it advised that VirtualBox was not installed, but, I could install virtualbox-ose-qt if I desired. So, I followed the prompt and did just that:

  ken@hostname:~$ sudo aptitude install virtualbox-ose-qt

This successfully installed VirtualBox and there was now an application icon for VirtualBox in my applications list. Plus, I could now start VirtualBox from the command line via the 'virtualbox' command.

That's all there is to it! In my next post I'll discuss the process of creating a virtual machine in VirtualBox and installing BackTrack 4 on it for the ultimate in portable pentesting and security auditing.

No comments:

Post a Comment