Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

How it really is.

This entry will serve as my first official post of real content on this blog. Thinking about it, I can't come up with a better way to kick-off this journal project, either.

When I took my first, tiny, timid steps into the world of Linux and Open Source I remember wondering to myself how I would ever build up the storehouse of knowledge in my head that some of the almighty "Linux Gurus" out there seemed to draw on at the time. Now, many years later, it has finally occurred to me that all of the gurus in the world, no matter their specialty, draw upon a vast network of references, libraries of textbooks that they've built up over time, and extensive research via advanced Google search tactics. Over time, many repeated and mundane tasks will become second-hand knowledge that is stored in your brain's precious memory cells. For everything else, use your resources!

With that in mind, this blog will make heavy use of reference to resources that I have utilized for each tutorial or article. Where necessary, I will even include specific search strings that I've used in Google searches, as well as links to sites and articles. Above all, when exploring the world of IT and Computer Science, please remember to not get discouraged, don't be afraid to ask for help if you honestly can't find the answer on your own, and, if all else fails, read the friendly manual! In fact, the "man" pages, found via the command line in any Linux distribution, are a vital resource. An example usage of the man pages is as follows:

[you@your-linux-machine you] $ man pwd

If you'd like to learn more about the Linux man pages, head over to the SuperMan Pages resource at Linux Command, found here:

http://www.linuxcommand.org/superman_pages.php

No comments:

Post a Comment